Some of you may remember back in January when I was busy making pom poms for a future holiday project - an Anthropologie inspired wreath. I love their tufted wool wreath but was hoping to achieve a similar look for less cost. Here's a look at mine and an overview of the materials I used, along with some tips.
I chose this yarn, purchased at Michael's. It was the closest I could find to resemble the wool yarn, as well as being the perfect shade of cream. Think ahead and purchase your yarn when they offer it on sale. As I was making two large wreaths, as well as garland for our Christmas tree, I needed a lot. Yarn often goes on sale at Michael's for half off.
If you recall, last January my husband made me a wooden paddle pom pom maker. This is the second one he made for the smaller pom poms for the garland. You can see the larger one here. While you don't need a special tool (your hands, or the tines of a fork would work), this tool made it much quicker for me. I wrapped the yarn around 50 times, for both the larger and smaller poms. I made most of them while watching the last season of Downtown Abbey on DVD. The larger ones are 2.5" in diameter and the smaller 1.5".
For the base of the wreaths, I purchased two 12-inch straw forms, also from Michael's.
I attached the large poms to the base with 2" floral T-pins. Start with the inside ring, and work your way to the outside for a total of three rings of poms. When starting a new row, place the first pom in the middle of two poms from the previous row so they are off-set.
For the garland, I made smaller poms. For this project, I chose to use fishing line as I wanted the poms to appear suspended in mid-air on the Christmas tree, like little snow balls. At first I tried sewing all of them together with one continuous piece of fishing line ... a big tangled unmanageable mistake! Mine are spaced between 8-10 inches apart (closer together at the top of the tree) so I found it easier to sew together about 8 poms on one piece of fishing line and add them to the tree in segments. When looking at the tree, it appears to be one long continuous piece. I used a regular sewing needle and just sewed through the center of each pom. Be sure and tie a knot at each end of the fishing line so your poms don't fall off.
For the bow, I cut apart a vintage Belgian tea towel, reminiscent of a vintage grain sack. I sewed two pieces of the cut towel together to make one longer piece for each wreath. I'll share pictures of the wreaths on our antique armoire once I finish up my Christmas decorating. Have a happy Monday everyone!